Friday, September 5, 2008

John McCain's Speech

I watched the entire Democrat's convention coverage on C-Span and in so doing missed the blather from the pundits. last night I chose PBS and heard some of the blather.

I couldn't bring myself to watch the Republican's convention because I knew it would make me mad and I would end up arguing with the TV. (How pathetic is that?) However, I did force myself to go to PBS and take in McCain's entire speech, including the well done video of his life. I pride myself on reading all editorials from the right and the left. How else can you discover what the opposition is thinking if you don't bother to find out? There have even been occasions (rare lately) when I agree with a position on the right.

The only good thing I found in my McCain viewing was when he ran down the steps of the stage without using a hand rail. Now that really impressed me!

I found McCain's speech to be a contradiction in terms. He seemed to be against everything he had voted for the past eight years. (I can't wait to see Jon Stewart's comedy routine on this travesty.) The bulk of McCain's speech sounded like every other political speech I have heard in my long lifetime - but from a Democrat. The irony is almost laughable.

Of course there were the Republican positions on 'every man for himself ', big corporations being the solutions, privatize, privatize, privatize and drill, drill, drill.

About half way through I was getting so bored because I had heard all of it before. He actually stole references from other convention speeches; all of them from Democrats. Kind of an "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." I wanted him to hurry and wrap it up so I could go to bed.

I stayed with the program long enough to hear Judy Woodruff, Michael Beschloss and another guy praise it to high heaven. I wondered if they heard the same speech that I did. Then my favorite two commentators came on. Mark Shields, from the left, agreed with me. David Brooks, from the right, found it hard to praise the speech. I felt vindicated. I guess beauty and politics are in the eye of the beholder.

What are your thoughts if you had the courage to listen?




4 comments:

kenju said...

Darlene, I didn't listen to any of it, because it makes me too mad, and I get too upset.

Anonymous said...

Darlene,

I watched long enough to figure out that Sarah Palin is Dick Cheney in lipstick.I loved the photo of her with her rifle.

I figure if she wins the election she won't let that Wittington guy get off so easy this time.

Mortart said...

I went to sleep rather than hear McCain. From what I've read and heard, I didn't miss anything new. He's said it all before, and he's said enough to scare me. Aside from his reactionary views on social and economic matters, what really scares me is his tendency to renew the cold war with Russia.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Did not hear McCain's speech...and can't imagine that it much matters. I missed much of the Republican side of things....but I think I'll live. They scare me big time.