Monday, February 8, 2010

The End of the U. S. and Tagged

Before I get to my special award I want to post the link to the op-ed piece in this morning's NYT.  It's by Paul Krugman, the award winning economist.   I think it is frightening in it's implications and every American should pay attention.  If you haven't read it yet, here is the link. 

You never know what surprising things lurk in your in-box.  This award was in my E-mail today and it was a complete shock.  It came from a blogger who was new to me and that doubled the surprise.  

I have since looked at his blog and I think you will find it worth checking out.  Barry of the blog Frost Bottom Farm (aka:  Frost Bottom Days) writes from Cape Cod, Masachusetts and his profile shows that he is interested in animals, farming and the great outdoors.  Check out the link to his blog.

 
I have copied and pasted the rules from Barry's blog.

1. I must thank the person who gave me the award and list their blog and link it 

2. I must list 10 honest things about myself

3. I must put a copy of Honest Scrap logo on my blog

4. I must select at least 7 or 8 other worthy blogers and list their links

5. I must notify the blogers of the award and hopefully they will follow the above three requirements also.

So here goes:

Thank you, Barry for the Honest Scrap Award. 

10 Honest Things about me.

1.  I am ancient.  But then, you already knew that.

 2.  I love the music from my youth.  The Big Band Era provided  my age group with some incredible renditions not possible today.

 3.  I loathe hypocrisy.

 4.  I wanted to be a dress designer when I was young.

 5.  I was a spoiled only child until my Mom remarried.

 6.  My short term memory is deteriorating.

 7.  I just spent too much money on an Apple laptop.

 8.  My only fear is one of becoming dependent on others.

 9.  I don't fear death.

10.  I am rarely lonely.

And now for the hard part.  There are so many worthy blogs that I will be unable to name them all.   Here are my nominations for the Honest Scrap award.
  
1.  Rain of Rainy Day Thoughts.  Rain writes great essays on politics,  interesting stories about the Oregon farm that she and her husband own where they raise sheep and cattle accompanied by beautiful photographs that she takes

2.  Ugich Konitari of Gappa .  Her blog is from India and her long posts on the culture and life in that country are fascinating.  Her mastery of the English language is much better than mine.

3.  Anne of 20th Century Woman writes from Puget Sound where she lives on an Island.  She and her husband also have a home in Alaska and you can learn much about her life there by reading her well written posts.

4.  Paula of Bird's On a Wire has just celebrated her first Blogiversary.  Her writing is excellent and her subject matter is eclectic.  She is very interested in politics.

5.  Hattie of Hattie's Web   has the intriguing sub-title on her web of "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."  After reading her web, you will probably agree with her.

6.  Mary Ellen of Xtreme English is well read and feisty.  She calls it like it is.   We share the fact that we both have cochlear implants.

I do hope that when you read this you will not omit the letter S from the last word in this award.  In my case it would probably be more accurate, but I will leave it as Scrap. 

14 comments:

Rummuser said...

Darlene, you should also have a look at this one: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/07/AR2010020701785.html?wpisrc=nl_opinions

la peregrina said...

You are not ancient, Darlene, heck, you aren't even old enough to be considered an antique. You are, however, vintage which means you are now worth more than you have ever been. :)

Darlene said...

*Rummuser - Thank you for the link. He has some valid points, but I find that conservative commentators always include Social Security as part of the cause of the deficit. S.S. has been self-sustaining and is still making a profit. It will continue to pay its way with a few tweaks; raising the elegibility age as the life span goes up.

I also would give his op-ed piece more validity if he would include the bloated Pentagon budget as part of the problem. Yes, taxes will have to be increased. We could start by letting the tax break given the 1% of the wealthiest in our country by Bush expire.

Darlene said...

*la peregrina - Oh, how I love you! Thank you, dear one.

Hattie said...

Your comment made me laugh, Darlene! I have to run off now, but I'll get back to you later.
--Marianna Scheffer (aka Hattie)

Kay Dennison said...

I loved Krugman's op-ed. I think he has it right.

Congrats on your newest honor! I already read five out of the six and know how well you have chosen. I'll be heading to see Paula anon and am sure to find yet another blog to add. The list is getting a tad unwieldy!

And I'm with Colleen -- you are not an antique!!!!!

Looking to the Stars said...

Loved the post :)
and I agree with la peregrina, she said it better than anyone :)

Darlene said...

*Hattie - Thanks for giving me your correct name. Hurry back and I will change it if you want me to.

*Kay Dennison - If I'm not ancient why do I look so tattered and worn? ;-)

Thanks for being so nice.

Rain Trueax said...

Thank you so much for thinking of me about this, Darlene. I appreciate it

Grannymar said...

Darlene, You are a Spring chicken who walks a little slower! ;)

Darlene said...

*Rain - You're welcome. I understand why you can't accept badges.

*Grannymar - You mean I'm not an old hen? Thanks for taking years off of my life.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Congratulations Darlene. Ancient? That's funny...it's hard to even think of you as old with your wonderful attitude and spirit. Love, Joy

Darlene said...

*Joy Des Jardins - You always make me feel so good. Thank you for lifting my spirits on a rare gloomy day in the desert.

Hattie said...

Darlene: I've run out of time to do the "ten honest things," but want you to know that I follow your blog and really like what you have to say.
I'm changing my little remark at the top of my blog, as I like to do from time to time.
I just use the name "Hattie" to keep casual Googlers from typing in my name and coming up with my blog. It isn't really a nom de plume.
Aloha,
Marianna