Election Day is coming soon. Before it's too late lets look at some facts.
Forget the past; lets look at the future under the Republicans if they gain control again. First, be prepared to be lied to when black will be white and up will be down. Demagoguery will be rampant and they will try to make you afraid; very afraid. Reality will disappear and ideology will replace common sense.
You think I exaggerate? Please listen to Keith Olbernamm as he tells you who those small businessmen really are. You know, they're the ones who will be hurt if the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest 2% are cut according to John Boehner and his brethren.
Do you know the definition of 'small businessmen'? I didn't either until Keith explained it. Here is part of the explanation:
Firms like the billionaire Koch Brothers who are backers of the Tea Party are small businessmen. You think I am kidding? No way would I mislead you. Do you know the reason they are classified as small businessmen? Because their company operates as either an S Corporation, sole proprietorship, partnership or a limited liability company. The companies pass the profits directly to the owners who pay taxes on the profits. They are, by definition, classified as small businesses because the owners are small in number. In the case of S corporations the number of owners can be 100. The term small business has nothing at all to do with the size of the business or the profit it makes. These so called 'small businesses' earn millions and sometimes billions each year. Poor babies, they really need that tax cut.
And those, my friend, are the small businesses that the Republicans want to save the tax breaks for. A lie, by any other name, still smells as bad.
Now if you didn't have to hold your nose after reading the explanation of a small business here is a list of what the Republicans will try to do if they gain control of our government again. After reading them, if you agree with me that this is a disaster waiting to happen, please help get out the vote. This could be the most important vote anyone makes. Tell your friends that those small businesses are spending billions trying to defeat the Democrats and we need to stir up the base again.
As an aside, the Republican deep pocket is paying for an ad against my wonderful Representative, Gabrielle Giffords, and it is repeated endlessly on all of the channels while I have only seen one of her ads. Her opponent, a real whacko named Kelly, sponsored by the Tea Party, wants to privatize Social Security and Medicare for starters. He must not be elected.
Now on to an abbreviated list taken from the Alter Net and written by Devona Walker.
- 1. Shut down the government to stop the Health Care bill. They have a plan to not fund it. Senator Coburn and Rep. Mike Pence have already made it clear that this is the plan.
- 2. Attempt to privatize Social Security and Medicare. For those of us on Social Security, this would have been a total disaster when the stock market lost 40% of its value during the financial crisis.
- 3. Spend every walking hour investigating the Obama administration. Michelle Bachmann is proposing issuing subpoena after subpoena and have one hearing after another. Is this what you want your government to spend their time on? Remember when nothing got done while they impeached Clinton for a sex act that should have been nobodies business other than Hillary's. (Before some righteous individual rises up in anger at the statement I will remind the person that one of the leaders in promoting the impeachment is a thrice married man who asked his hospitalized wife for a divorce while she was in treatment for cancer so he could marry his mistress.) Oh yeah, I mean the loud mouthed Newt Gingrich.
- 4. Repeal the 14th amendment - divest immigrants' children of citizenship.
- 5. Forget Cap and Trade. Those small business men, the Koch Bros., have already donated 1 million to suspend the Global Warming legislation in California. They are oil men, after all.
- 6. Return to the disastrous economic policies that got us in the financial crisis in the first place. Rep. Darrell Issa wants finance reform repealed.
- 7. Kill or drastically slash the Food Stamp Program. Let them eat cake I guess.
- 8. Roll back and repeal equal rights for gays. The party platform has not changed and the Montana GOP platform now calls for making homosexuality illegal.
- 9. Abandon the unemployed. During one week 2 million unemployed lost their benefits while the Republicans filibustered the extension of unemployment benefits.
- 10. Paralyze one branch of our government. The Republicans will continue to obstruct anything the Democrats do because that is the way they hope to take back the White House.
I wrote this yesterday and today's NYT had the following editorial which is a very good read on this subject. Please click on the link. (You may have to click a second time. When I tested it an ad came up the first time)