Thursday, April 29, 2010

Blossoms, Musings and an Update



Pyracantha blossoms that will turn into the red berries that the birds love.

Blossoms on one of my potted succulents.



This is a photo of the Jasmine plant I showed in a previous post. It's at it's full glory now and the blossoms will soon be gone.

I do love the renewal of life that occurs when Spring arrives.

As I looked at these lovely blossoms of renewal I remembered an old story. Many of you have probably heard it, but I will repeat it anyhow.

A elderly man in Brooklyn was hit by a car while crossing the street and killed. An autopsy was ordered and the Pathologist made an amazing discovery. He found that the body was riddled with cancer, heart disease, and numerous other maladies. According to acquaintances, the man had never been to a doctor or had a sick day in his life.

I have no way of knowing if that man never felt pain or if he chose to ignore it. But I have often thought of that man when a sharp pain makes me say, "Now what?"

They are just beginning to unravel the mysteries of the brain and who knows what they may discover in time. I only know that attitude is 90% of the power of healing. It is still healthier to be optimistic rather than dwelling on our ills.

I have a weird theory about the brain and illness. I believe that in time some scientist will discover that the brain has healing powers. They already know that the brain releases endorphins to calm us if we work hard. They can help in a stressful situation, but we must exert energy to let them flow.

What do I base my theory on? I have first hand knowledge of seemingly miraculous healing without the aid of medicine. This has bothered me because, as a very pragmatic person, I don't want to believe in miracles. Whether the healing was done by prayer, belief in Christian Science, or simply denial such miracles have occurred when the believer had the kind of faith that moves mountains.

On the other hand, I have also witnessed failures of those same individuals who held that strong belief. I have come to the conclusion that in some way the successes were due to the believer tapping into that part of the brain that can heal.

Okay, it may be a 'kookie' theory. I am just throwing it out for discussion.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AARP has a list of what the Health Care Reform will do. I decided it's time to update the information.

  • Helps 32 Million Americans get insurance.
  • Makes preexisting conditions a thing of the past. Insurance can't use them to deny coverage for children from this year on, or adults starting in 2014.
  • Guarantees basic benefits for everyone in Medicare, makes preventative services free for most, and gradually closes the "doughnut hole" in the Part D drug program.
  • Sets up a temporary program in July to help people with preexisting conditions - who have been uninsured at least six months - obtain coverage.
  • Provides new benefits for most people who already have insurance, such as coverage for children until the age 26.
  • Leaves medical decisions in the hands of your doctor and you.
  • Requires most people to have coverage by 2014, but offers subsidies for those with low or moderate income and makes more people eligible for Medicaid.
  • Created State-run-insurance exchanges offering a menu of private insurance plans for people who are uninsured, self employed, or between jobs.
  • Offers immediate tax credit help for small businesses to buy insurance for employees.
  • Keeps Medicare financially sound for at least ten more years and reduces the U.S. deficit by an estimated $143 billion.
While the bill did not give most of us all that we desired, it's a start in the right direction.

20 comments:

la peregrina said...

I believe that in time some scientist will discover that the brain has healing powers...I have first hand knowledge of seemingly miraculous healing without the aid of medicine. This has bothered me because, as a very pragmatic person, I don't want to believe in miracles.

But, Darlene, if the brain does have healing powers isn't that a miracle in itself?

Nancy said...

You know, Darlene,I have to absolutely push myself to get up and go for a walk.

I am told I must walk around the 1/2 mile track 4 times. I drag myself to the jogging path and start putting one foot in front of the other. Then, I start to go a bit faster and before you know it the four laps are finished. But am I? NO! The endorphins have taken over my body and now I want to go around that loop again ,just for my own pleasure. Yes, just for fun...

So, you are quite right in your theory. The brain does wonderful things for the welfare of the body.

popps said...

Hi, I think I found your blog through Harold (always question) who has helped me with my own.
I know a few people who have fought illness with positive thought, imaging etc.
It worked for them and i have used it myself to tackle cholesterol levels - on the advice of a health practitioner I visited.
I don't think it's wacky - we use the power of the brain in healthy situations too.
I think someone did a study once of the top sportsmen and asked the question - if you take ten top athletes they have to be pretty equal in terms of skill so what makes one of them champion - the conclusion was belief.
I thick the book Feel The Fear and Do it anyway is another application of the power of thought.
Don't sport's coaches also recommend imaging the result you want before stepping out?

Darlene said...

*la peregrina - All life is a miracle if you think about it.

*Nancy - Thanks for your endorsement of my theory.

*popps - Thank you so much for visiting. I do hope you will return.

Another old book along that line was "The Power of Positive Thinking." It helped my husband
stop smoking.

Yes, I think you are correct in the advice sports coaches give.

Anonymous said...

Darlene--In my view, the brain is just another (albeit very important) part of the body. The body of a person, other animal, or plant wants to heal itself and does a pretty good job of it...if we let it. If our bodies were not 99% self-healing, we would not have made it out of childhood (unfortunately, "in our day" many did not!)
Cop Car

Kay Dennison said...

I am a miracle according to doctors. I am supposed to be in a wheelchair or should have died. Yes, I still have limitations but I walk, I talk, and I take care of myself despite what the doctors said 32 years ago. I believe in miracles because I am one. Then again, I fought like hell to get better and blithely ignored advice to the contrary. A good attitude and determimation can make miracles. I truly believe that.

Darlene said...

Cop Car - You make a good point. I guess there is no mystery part of the brain; it is already at work, if we let it. However, it still can't cure cancer or other terrible diseases; at least to my knowledge.

*Kay - If the doctor's diagnosis had been right I would qualify as a miracle also. My mother was told that I only had 6 months to live when I was 10 years old. Yet, here I am at the very ripe old age of nearly 85.

Leslie Parsley said...

Needless to say, I love the pictures. They are absolutely beautiful - as are you for posting this uplifting blog. Thanks.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Beautiful flowers Darlene. It's a shame that Jasmine plant loses its blossoms so quickly...I hate that. I have a tree that covers the walkway to the house that is in beautiful pink blossoms right now; but I can see that they are already starting to go...and it makes me so sad. I took some pics of it the other day...maybe I'll post them.

I think I read somewhere that the brain does have healing powers. Where I read it...I don't remember. I wonder just how bad your brain has to be to start the healing...and I wonder if I might not qualify already.

Have a wonderful weekend sweetie.... ~Joy

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful flowers. I have to think positive. For me there is no other way to live. As time goes by I have a number of health issues - think positive, and like Nancy said, put one foot in front of the other continually. My youngest daughter just returned from a short trip to your beautiful state. Fond wishes are sent your way.

Rinkly Rimes said...

On the very RARE occasions I called-in-sick at my work, I'd put-on a croaky/sniffy voice and act ill! And ALWAYS I'd get a cold! So I've always believed in the power of the mind!

LadyLuz said...

I love the flowers on that succulent, Darlene. Many of ours in big ceramic bowls and pots are at their best at the moment.

I too believe in the mind/body connection and the power of positive thinking. There have been some interesting accounts of cancers and other diseases being healed.

popps said...

The other side of this coin is, of course, our innate ability to MAKE ourselves ill.
I remember someone interviewing a famous British actor and asking why he was never ill?
His reply - "I don't believe in it."

Darlene said...

*tnlib - Flowers are so photogenic. They hold still while you click the shutter and always remain beautiful. ;-)

*Joy Des Jardins - I have a different vairiety of Jasmine on a post on my back patio and it is just beginning to bloom.

Maybe I'm on to something with my theory.

*One Woman's Journey - Yes, it is the only way to live (happily).

*Rinkly Rimes - Thanks for sharing because it reminded me of doing just that when I had a test at school that I wasn't prepared for. I pretended illness and ended up barfing. Thanks for reminding me.

*Lady Luz - Succulents are so interesting, aren't they?

*popps - Thank you for your visit. It's so nice to see a new name in the comment box. I do hope you will return.

Just wonderful "I don't believe in it." What a great attitude. Maybe that's why the man in my story never had a sick day.

naomi dagen bloom said...

Is it too contrary to wonder if the Brooklyn man enjoyed a better quality of life than if he'd been treated? Never thought I'd think something like that--thanks for challenging my assumptions!

Beverly said...

You are a featured blog on TGB!!! You said you had no pretty blooming flowers??? those are pretty! Love all your info!

Rain Trueax said...

We are beings of energy and so how that is activated, how our atoms are encouraged to create sickness or heal illnesses, who knows. I took reiki to the second level and do know you can feel energy as it goes sometimes. Where that comes from, who knows. But I am content for life to be mystery

Darlene said...

*naomi dagen bloom - I guess we'll never know.

*Beverly - I erred. We do have pretty blooming flowers; just not ones like yours. Ours don't last long, but the nurseries are full of petunias, etc. so I should amend my comment.

+Rain - I guess I don't have a choice; it's all a mystery and I have to leave it at that.

Darlene said...

*naomi dagen bloom - I guess we'll never know.

*Beverly - I erred. We do have pretty blooming flowers; just not ones like yours. Ours don't last long, but the nurseries are full of petunias, etc. so I should amend my comment.

+Rain - I guess I don't have a choice; it's all a mystery and I have to leave it at that.

Tabor said...

NOT kookie at all. We do not know a tenth of what our wonderful brain can do! I am trying to catch up on your blog. must keep reading!