Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rain

I tried to edit this so it would fit, but Blog Spot kept doing it's own thing (as usual). But I liked this sweet story so will post it 'as is.'

Rain

It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80's arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an
appointment at 9:00 am.

I took his vital
signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone
would to able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and ,
decided, since I
was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was
well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to
remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of
his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as
he was in such a hurry.

The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to
the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her
health.

He told me that
she had been there
for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As we
talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late.

He
replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in
five years now.

I was surprised, and asked
him, 'And you still go every
morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?'

He smiled as he
patted my hand and said,

'She doesn't
know me, but I still know who she is.'


I had to hold back
tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm, and thought,

'That is
the kind of love I want in my life.'

True love is
neither physical, nor romantic.


True love is an
acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not
be.



The
happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make
the best of everything they have.

'Life isn't about
how to survive the storm,
But how to dance in the
rain.'

8 comments:

Looking to the Stars said...

This is so beautiful, thank you so much for sharing it. It gave me goosebumps reading it.

What a beautiful person you are, Darlene. I am so glad that you are a part of my life :)

Nancy said...

Darlene,

What a lovely and loving story.

I had tears in my eyes when I read the final lines....."She doesn't know me but I still know who she is."

Dixon Webb said...

Hi Darlene . . Wonderful story. The man could have been my brother and the woman his wife. She was in a alzheimer care home for several years and didn't recognize anyone. He never missed his twice a week visits. Not once. She died. He followed her two years later. My brother was 48 years old when he passed.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bump

Darlene said...

*Looking to the Stars - Thank you so much for your kind remarks. The feeling is mutual.

* Nancy - It is touching, isn't it?

*Bumps Stumps - Thank you for the visit. How very sad for your brother to have died too soon. He was obviously a very devoted and loyal man to be much admired.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I got misty-eyed reading this Darlene. It's beautiful...and so are you. Love, Joy

Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Darlene

I have found out about your wonderful blog from Bits'n'Bobs/Show and Tell, which has just nominated you for an award as being one of his 10 blogs worth keeping an eye on.

You have an amazing collection of posts and I look forward to reading more. The story of "Rain" was very poignant and touching.

Best wishes

Janet

naomi dagen bloom said...

"How to dance in the rain," a thought to hold close and remember. Thanks for reminding me how important messages can come in surprising ways.

popps said...

I'm singing in the rain
just singing in the rain
what a glorious feeling
i'm happy again.