Thursday, May 27, 2010

Race In America

I found this clip so funny that I wanted to share it with those of you who may have missed it. Jon Stewart really nails it.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
On Topic: In the News - Race in America
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party


I wonder when everyone will begin to accept the fact that we are all just people; good, bad and a little of both. It is so easy to stereotype a race using a few bad apples as the template. Of course, this goes for religion, culture, or anything else that is different from ourselves.

No one will convince me that the sudden rush to emulate Arizona's immigration reform bill does not have underlying prejudice. 17 States are thinking about passing such unAmerican legislation. You may ask, what is unAmerican about it. Well, our country was founded by immigrants and the words on a palque inside the Statue of Liberty are of the poem by Emma Lazarus.

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


If your ancestors came from England (as did mine) would you be so quick to deny citizenship to the ones that have lived here illegally for many years?

12 comments:

Friko said...

I was looking forward to a good laugh and all I get is "sorry, videos are not currently available in your country".
Something to do with copyright, do you think?

Darlene said...

*Friko - Darn it - sorry. I suppose it must have something to do with that. It's a syndicated radio clip.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Loved the clip Darlene... ~Joy

20th Century Woman said...

What a shame Friko couldn't see that really funny clip. And I would like to know how much of it you had to be here (in the US) to really get the jokes.

To me the best thing about having Obama for president is that he's intelligent. For a change. Of course, he can't solve every problem and magic he isn't.

Darlene said...

*Joy - Glad you liked it.

*20th Century Woman - I suppose it wouldn't make much sense unless someone had been following our political nonsense.

I agree with you about Obama.

AMIT said...

Nice video it is.

Adsense Alternative

popps said...

i'm English watching the video in France and yep it's funny and i understand it.
Maybe the sad thing is that racism has no borders.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darlene said...

*AMIT - I'm glad you liked the video.

*popps - Racism is an ugly human condition and I suppose it can be found anywhere.

Tikno said...

My friend ever told me that if you want to see the world gather together, just go to America.

If you have wrote my dream at:
http://love-ely.blogspot.com/2009/08/aware-or-just-dream.html

After read it maybe you will just simply say : That is mission impossible.

Tikno said...

This is the first time I visit your blog and this post has attracted me to leave a comment.

Darlene said...

*Tikno - Thank you so much for your visit. Please come back. I appreciate your comment.