Tuesday, August 19, 2008

People At the Grand Canyon


I am working on a political post so today I will make it easy on myself and fill up space with more photos of my last trip to the Grand Canyon. I selected photos with people this time for a more human theme. It seems more appropriate after the latest news of having to evacuate the Indians and hikers from the bottom of the canyon after a mud dam broke.

The top photo is of a comedian who entertained us on the train. The cars are old, the seats close together and the aisles narrow. This guy was in our car for a long time and had moved toward the end of the car when I needed to use the facilities that were beyond him. I walked up the aisle and he didn't know I was behind him wanting to get by. Since he was well into his patter I didn't want to interrupt.

Each car on the train had an attendant in period costume. Ours was a very handsome piano player in the dress suit worn in the Gay Nineties. He saw my dilemma and quietly came down the
aisle to where I was standing and pinched the
entertainer on the butt. Without missing a beat the comedian whirled around and said, "Did you do that Maam?" I think my face turned a lovely shade of hot pink and I tried to avoid looking at all those laughing faces who were finding this episode to be the funniest thing said.

The next photo shows a couple of white haired buddies (I honestly don't know if it's two women or a man and woman).

The next photo is of a cliff house. If you click on the picture it will enlarge and you can get a better view of the visitors.


The final photo shows our companions from the bus walking up to view a monument. I can't tell you what is on the plaque because I decided that the path was too rocky for me to navigate with my poor sense of balance.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Norma said...

This looks just like our trip in 2003. What a fabulous time we had. But I did crash into a low branch and break my glasses.

Darlene said...

Norma, I'm sorry that happened. Those kind of accidents can spoil a good day.

Rain Trueax said...

I have been at the canyon quite a few times. My last trip was with snow on the ground which was cool but the heights really bothered me. Being even on the sidewalk along the edge was disturbing and then some woman jumped and so we saw the helicopter with the rescue guys to retrieve her body. Beautiful time but very disturbing also. I did get some of the most beautiful photos I got with that snow in patches. Mostly in the past I'd been there during the summer

kenju said...

Darlene, I was there in the late 90's and it was everything I'd dreamed of and more. I had wanted to see the canyon since I was a young child, and it didn't disappoint! What I really want to do is see it from the bottom, but I don't want to hike down there...LOL