Sunday, April 12, 2009

San Francisco and Coit Tower - Episode VII



This photo was taken from the car as we traveled the confusing streets to the tower. We spent most of the day there because there is very little parking around the tower and the line of cars waiting for someone to leave is lengthy. I wouldn't even attempt to visit in high tourist season. I think it took us over a half hour to reach the top. I read that San Francisco is considering stopping auto traffic to the tower and will institute public transportation. Buses that could unload a lot of tourists makes good sense.

Following are a few facts about the tower. [from Wikipedia.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coit Tower was built in Pioneer Park atop Telegraph Hill in 1933 at the bequest of Lillie Hitchcock Coit to beautify the City of San Francisco. Lillie bequeathed one-third of her estate to the City of San Francisco "to be expended in an appropriate manner for the purpose of adding to the beauty of the city which I have always loved"

The art deco tower, 210 feet (64 m) of unpainted reinforced concrete, was designed by architects Arthur Brown, Jr. and Henry Howard with murals by 26 different artists and numerous

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


.

This statue of Christopher Columbus stands in the middle of the parking area.







These lovely flowers lined the ramp I used to get to the elevator.




A skyline scene from the tower. I was told the name of the Pyramid shaped tower, but you know my inability to drag information out of my memory cells. I think the cells that store memory died a few years ago. I am sure someone will be able to tell me the name.





You will recognize Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. I have more photos taken from the top of the tower, but they will have to wait for another post.

Reaching the top of the tower to take the scenes was a real test of strength. Of course, I am a stubborn mule and was determined to reach the viewing site or know the reason why. I'm probably a little loco also.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Darlene,

Your pictures of San Francisco were really beautiful. I loved looking at them. It looks like you had lovely weather while you were there.

The pyramid shaped building is the Transamerica Building. It's a striking building because it has a quartz finish which makes it bright white.

I am so happy you enjoyed your time with your daughter and grandchildren...

Granny Annie said...

Did you have to climb to the top of that tower to take those pictures? I could never have done it and admire your stamina.

kenju said...

We were there in 2000, and the crowds were so bad that we didn't go to the top because we'd have had to wait forever. We got lost going to the tower, too. The streets are curvy and narrow, as you know.

Darlene said...

Nancy, Thank you for telling me the name of the tower. Trust you to know the answer. Yes, the weather was lovely, but windy and chilly in S. F. but that's normal.

Granny Annie, No, I followed a ramp around the side and back of the building to the lower level where there is an elevator to the top. As I said, sheer stubbornness makes me go where angels fear to tread. I was tired, though.

Kenju, Gail knows San Francisco, but I can see why you got lost; I would have been too.

Darlene said...

Nancy, Thank you for telling me the name of the tower. Trust you to know the answer. Yes, the weather was lovely, but windy and chilly in S. F. but that's normal.

Granny Annie, No, I followed a ramp around the side and back of the building to the lower level where there is an elevator to the top. As I said, sheer stubbornness makes me go where angels fear to tread. I was tired, though.

Kenju, Gail knows San Francisco, but I can see why you got lost; I would have been too.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Great pics Darlene. Looks like everything was wonderful for your trip with your daughter and grandchildren....weather included. The last time I was in San Francisco was on my honeymoon...back in the stone age...but sure had a great time.

Ugich Konitari said...

Darlene, great pictures, and they brought back a lot of memories of my trip there in may 2007. We were in the US to attend my sons masters graduation from ASU Tempe, but were based in SFO as i have two brothers there. We did see the tower you mention, and the G G Bridge, as well as the crooked road....actually we even came to Tucson to visit an old friend from my grad school days (1971) at the Univ. Wish I had known you then !

20th Century Woman said...

What beautiful pictures. What a civilized place San Francisco is. It seems more so from the wilds of Alaska!

Darlene said...

Joy, San Francisco would be a wonderful place to honeymoon; there is so much to do and see.

Ugich, that crooked road is Lombard Street. My step daughter drove me down it on a visit I made about 18 years ago. I wish I had known you when you were in Tucson. Maybe you will return and we can get together. That would be great!

2oth Century Woman - Thank you.