Saturday, September 5, 2009

An Award, A Visit and a Sunset

This morning I look like a spotted owl.  A visit to my dermatologist yesterday ended up in my having so many keratosis burned off  one side of my face that it felt numb.  I had more burned off of my hands and arms and had two more biopsies taken.  This will make 14 skin cancers I have had removed if they prove malignant.  Little did I know when I was a teenager that I was destroying my skin when I baked and burned trying to achieve a 'Copper Girl' tan. 

The above is an explanation of this hodgepodge post.  A little of this and that.

On my last post I told you about my visit from my friends from Switzerland.   I just uploaded the picture I took of them and I will introduce them to you now.  I met them when we moved into an apartment in Spencer, Massachusetts.   Mark was in High School and Gail was just starting first grade. 


Karl and Margrit lived in the next door apartment.   Being Swiss, Margret was the most capable housewife I have ever met.  She had learned to knit, crochet, sew and cook when she was just a child.  She could knit a sweater without dropping a stitch while carrying on a conversation. 

It was an unhappy time in my life because I missed my house in Tuscon and didn't know a soul in New England.  I was snowbound in my small apartment and had very little to occupy my time.  Bless Margrit - she taught me to knit.

I discovered that I loved doing it and over the years I have made a dozen afghans, more sweaters than I can count, plus scarves and ponchos.  I will take photos of some of them that I kept to show you what a good teacher Margrit was.   The upshot of it was, Margrit saved my life.  Wayne was working from early morning until ten at night and the children had their own friends and activities and I could only read so many books. Without this new hobby I would have been miserable.
The challenge of a new activity kept me happy and I will always be grateful to Margrit.
So I now present the Wuegers from a small town near Zurich.
Lady Luz of the great blog, Everything and Nothing gave me a Kreativ Blogger award and I am to write seven interesting things about myself. That will be the hard part, because I inherited one negative trait from my maternal grandmother. She always said, "If I talk to you for fifteen minutes you know my life history."  Because I have been writing this blog for a year I have already divulged anything that could possibly be of interest about me.  And a lot that wasn't.  ;-)  
(I suppose some would say that I have diarrhea of the mouth.  Kinder souls would say that I am a very open person.  I just say, I never did have sense enough to keep my mouth shut.)
I am also supposed to pass this award on to 7 others. Now that will really be hard because I love all of the Blogs I read and I don't want to leave any of them out. Could I just say that if you like this award and you are on my blog list please feel free to help yourself? Am I breaking blog rules here? Help!!!
Okay, seven interesting things you don't know about me. At least, I don't think you do.
1) My favorite color has changed over the years. When I was a child it was pink. Then that became dusky rose. Years later I fell in love with teal. Now I love apricot. Does this mean that I'm fickle?
2) I am sure I qualify as an Anal retentive type.  My drawers are neat and my closet is color coordinated. (Sometimes ---)
3) I was never athletic and have always had a poor sense of balance.
4)  I was very good at roller skating, though, because my parents wouldn't buy ice skates for me. I compensated by learning all the dance steps possible on wheels.
5)  As a child I loved dolls and played with them until it became embarrassing.
6)  I suffer from wanderlust.  My only regret in being old is that I will never see the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids, or the Great Wall of China. I wanted to see all of those places before I died.  It is no longer a feasible dream.
7)  Christmas was always my favorite holiday. The weeks of anticipation, preparation and decorating before the big day were magical to me. Then the arrival of the big feast day, starting with a champagne breakfast and ending with a contented glow after a happy day.  (Not from the champagne, you silly -.) 
So there you have it. Not exactly the Seven Wonders of the World, but I have fulfilled my obligation. Now if I could only post the award on my sidebar. Sigh!
The other evening I  went to my front window and was greeted by this sight.  I ran to get my camera and am sharing the view with you.

12 comments:

Looking to the Stars said...

I loved hearing about your friends, they look like a nice couple.

Ow, on your skin treatment. I don't think I would have the courage to have that many done. The 2 that I did was painful enough.

I will not take the award for there are many who are more worthy then I.

I loved your sharing about yourself, I wish I could take you to the 3 wonders that you want to see for I would like to see them also.

The pic of the sunset is beautiful!

karin said...

I am so glad I found you. I can understand why you got the Creativ Blog award. You are absolutely wonderful and have made my day. My mailing address is Tucson because my brother kindly receives my mail and has given me an address so SS is happy although I live full-time in a 5th wheel with someone else who was widowed. I wish the 50's had been as happy for me as for you. Did you read Bill Bryson's book about the 50's? You did a better job.

Friko said...

thank you for telling us a bit about yourself, I always like to know who it is with whom i am in contact.
Love the picture of the view from your window, aren't you lucky.
Sorry about the skin cancers, do make sure you tell youngsters not to roast themselves.
Finally, congratulations on your award, you deserve it.

Tabor said...

Wonderful photo. As you may know I am currently addicted to taking pictures of sunsets. If I could do a decent job on moon rises I would switch to them! I read about Saul Friedman's African safari on Ronnies blog. It was when he was using a cane and could no longer walk without one. If your health is the issue for travel there are travel services for the handicapped you8 might consider.

kenju said...

It;s too bad I didn't know about your friends when I was in Zurich in 2007. I could have called and said hi.

You and I share diarrhea of the mouth and also travel wishes!!

Rain Trueax said...

I was tagged for a Meme and am tagging you. If you wish to play, the rules are at Rainy Day Thought.

Rain Trueax said...

Good photos and sorry to hear about the skin. I think that's a product of our age where we really didn't know. But now they say people aren't getting enough Vitamin D and that's a bigger health problem. Sometimes you cannot win. My mother crocheted beautiful things but I never had the knack. I tried knitting when I was pregnant with my second child, made a couple of things, started a scarf, he was born and that was the end of time for it. My granddaughter has been learning though and I really like watching people do it who are good at it.

Darlene said...

*Looking to the Stars - Please don't put yourself down. Of course you are worthy. Too bad we can't make our travel dreams come true.

*Karin - I am so glad you found me, too. I hope you will be back. I assume your brother lives in Tucson. Next time you are here we will have to try to meet for coffee.

*Friko - Thank you for the congratulations.

*Tabor - Unfortunately physical limitations aren't the only thing keeping me home. There is that necessary commodity, money. I envy and admire Saul F. for his trip, although Africa would not be my first choice.

*Judy - My Swisss friends would have been delighted to hear from you. Maybe next time.

*Rain - I did the Meme and it should be posted now.

I avoid the sun now and am, consequently, low on vitamin D. I drink milk, eat yogurt, and take calcium D, but it isn't enough. I guess I will be adding that vitamin to my daily regimen.

*

LadyLuz said...

Hi Darlene - such a wonderful sunset.

And I loved all the extra information about you. I missed out on all your early stuff. Like you, I've had loads of bits lopped off - face, arms, legs - all due to too much sun in the Far East and Middle East when I didn't know any better.

I love Rain's book reading meme and am going to have a go on my blog, just for the fun of it. I'm reading David Lodge's "Deaf Sentence".

Darlene said...

*Lady Luz - I'll be by to read your meme.

Susie Hemingway said...

Wonderful Photo - I enjoyed reading your blog tonight. Best wishes from the UK

Darlene said...

*Susie Hemingway - Thank you so much for stopping by. I do hope you will come again. My best friend from High School had the last name Hemenway. I would guess that someone on this side of the pond changed the ing to en.