Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Meme and a Splash

I have been tagged by Rain of Rainy Day Thoughts to do a Meme.  The rules are to pick the book nearest  to you, turn to page 161 and copy the fifth sentence.  It so happens that I have Jane Austin's book, Northanger Abbey on the shelf above my computer and that is the book I will use. 
I didn't realize what really looooong sentences Jane Austin used until I started counting to number five.

The top of the page is the last half of a sentence started on the preceding page and I ignored that.  The next sentence is almost a full paragraph in length.  Thank goodness it isn't number five.  Whew!  Sentence number five is one word:  "Why!" Well, that seems too simple so I will add the next sentence, "How can you ask the question?"

I believe the object of this Meme is to see what people are reading.  Actually, I am reading Death Of An Expert Witness by P. D. James.  The book is on my nightstand because that is where I do a lot of my reading.  I usually read mysteries for entertainment ; they take my mind away from thoughts that might keep me awake.  (Such as what will I write about on my blog?)

I am to tag  five more people to play this game so the five I have chosen are:
  1.  Lydia of Writerquake.
  2.  Joy of The Joy of Six
  3.  Sylvia of Sylvia From Over The Hill
  4.  Tabor of One Day At A Time
  5.  Judy of Imagine
  6.  Marie of Grannymar
Did you count six?  So sue me - I cheated.  I would like to add more, but if I didn't put you on the list I don't think there is any law that says you can't play if you want to.  Just let me know so I can read your 5th sentence from page 161.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grannymar is an Irish blogger who writes a wonderful new post every day (I don't know how she does it) and she was given a Splash award.  I admired it and she told me to take a share.   I thought it added a lot to my sidebar and am grateful for her generosity. 
   

10 comments:

kenju said...

Darlene, I don't mind doing your meme, but you may be sorry you asked!! The only book near me (other than a dictionary and a Thesaurus) is The Collected Poems of e.e. cummings. Page 161 - fifth paragraph:

once upon a
(that is
ov er: and the sea heaving
indolent colourless forgets) time


And no, I don't know what it means either!!! LOL

Sylvia K said...

Darlene, I don't mind either! My book is Anam Cara A Book of Celtic Wisdom, page 161, the fifth sentence is: May evening find you gracious and fulfilled. It's a line from a Celtic blessing.

Have a lovely evening1

Sylvia

Sylvia K said...

Oh, I forgot! the author is John O'Donohue! Very interesting book1

Grannymar said...

I'm game, but it might be the weekend before I get around to it.

PS The Awards look good on your side bar!

Darlene said...

*Kenju - I can quickly see that just one line from a book can cause problems. ;-)

*Sylvia - Your line is beautiful. I think I need to read that book.

*Grannymar - There is no hurry.
Thanks again for letting me share your award.

Vagabonde said...

Darlene I have four full bookshelves close by and decided to do your meme because I was just reading a blog on euthanasia and that was not fun. So, here is the 5th sentence from page 161 from the first book I picked up: “But that’s impossible, Grigori Efimovich. You can’t mix red wine with Madeira.” The book is Rasputin by Prince Youssoupoff published in 1927. I have not read it yet but I think they are talking about poisoning Rasputin. It is true, I don’t think mixing red wine with Madeira would be tasty but it might mask the flavor of some poison.

Lydia said...

Darlene, because I'm like you with my current read on my nightstand I did not cheat, and so you will get a smattering from the book that is here on my desk right now. It's titled Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shue, by Karen Kingston. Here's the fifth sentence from page 161 (which happens to be the first page of the book's final chapter, "Clearing Spiritual Clutter":

Each of us has a life purpose and it is my belief that we incarnate with the conscious awareness of that purpose and the intention of fulfilling it.

Many of the book's other chapters have more utilitarian titles, such as The Problem with Clutter, So Why Do People Keep Clutter?, Collections, The BIG Stuff, and Clearing Mental Clutter among them.

Darlene said...

*Vagabonde - too bad they weren't able to poison Rasputin. He was a nasty beast that contributed to the Revolution. Do you think Rasputin would drink such a concoction?

*Lydia - You came up with a marvelous sentence. I need to read the book on getting rid of paper clutter. I always throw away something I need and keep junk I will never use.

Lydia said...

It really was what came up as the fifth sentence on page 161! I must admit I haven't read the full book yet, not even the chapter on paper clutter. But you will be so proud of me.....tonight we ate out Chinese and my fortune said, "You will soon witness a miracle." I started to keep it but then put it in the stack of toss-aways in the center of the table! Yea! I'm just realizing that my not saving the scrap was probably the miracle...and I may have a new post for Clutterquake!

Darlene said...

*Lydia - Funny!!! You did your part for a green earth and it may not have been a miracle, but it was certainly environmentally proper.